Recent Study Reveals Surprising Truth About Low Fat Weight Loss Diets

Recent Study Reveals Surprising Truth About Low Fat Weight Loss Diets



A recent study revealed surprising facts surrounding low-fat weight loss diets and their believed benefits relating to​ heart disease and cancer. a​ study completed by the​ Women’s Health Initiative (WHI) and Stanford University determined that a​ low-fat weight loss diet,​ in​ itself,​ is​ not sufficient in​ greatly reducing the​ risk of​ cancer and/or heart disease in​ women. Research officials determined that a​ decrease in​ saturated and trans fats may offer more convincing results.

The study noted that women who took part in​ a​ low-fat weight loss diet experienced a​ 9% decrease in​ the​ development of​ breast cancer. in​ addition,​ no appreciable changes were confirmed in​ the​ development of​ heart disease. Approximately 49,​000 females,​ from ages 50 to​ 79,​ took part in​ what is​ recognized as​ the​ America’s largest long-term study of​ a​ low-fat weight loss diet. the​ study was carried out over a​ term of​ eight years,​ during which time the​ experts planned to​ test the​ belief that low-fat weight loss diets were beneficial in​ reducing the​ risk of​ cancer or​ heart disease.

Of the​ approximate 49,​000 women subjects,​ 40% were instructed to​ maintain a​ low-fat weight loss diet,​ which required them to​ reduce their fat intake down to​ 20% of​ their total calorie consumption. They were also instructed to​ eat fruits and vegetables on​ five or​ more occasions during the​ day,​ in​ addition to​ six servings of​ grain. the​ other 60% of​ women participants were named as​ the​ comparison group and were told to​ maintain their current eating habits.

During the​ study,​ Women’s Health Initiative researches noted that some of​ the​ low-fat weight loss diet candidates failed to​ meet their required 20% fat intake. a​ recent news report,​ which was released from Stanford University,​ detailed the​ facts that researchers believed women who wish to​ maintain a​ healthy lifestyle may wish to​ consider a​ well-balanced diet that is​ low in​ both saturated and trans fats while,​ at​ the​ same time,​ remained a​ diet rich in​ vegetables and fiber. According to​ the​ release,​ this type of​ diet would take the​ place of​ one that is​ directed solely toward the​ goal of​ low-fat food consumption.

“Just switching to​ low-fat foods is​ not likely to​ yield much health benefit in​ most women,​” commented Marcia Stefanick,​ PhD,​ professor of​ medicine at​ the​ Stanford Prevention Research Center and chair of​ the​ Women’s Health Initiative steering committee. “Rather than trying to​ eat low-fat,​ women should focus on​ reducing saturated fats and trans fats.”

This article is​ intended to​ be used for informational purposes only. it​ is​ not to​ be used in​ place of,​ or​ in​ conjunction with,​ professional medical advice or​ a​ nutritionist’s recommendation. Prior to​ beginning any dietary program,​ including a​ weight loss diet,​ individuals should consult a​ physician for proper diagnosis and/or an​ appropriate path toward their individual goal(s).




You Might Also Like:




No comments:

Powered by Blogger.